Monday, August 14, 2017
89. Garryhill Info From Niall Green
O’Neill Ownership of Clonmore
(otherwise known as Garryhill), Co. Carlow
Deed dated 25 October 1736 Memorial of an Indenture of Lease.
Morgan Neal and Laurence Cook lease 80 acres at Clonmore from Sir William Vigor Burdet of Benekerry, County of Carlow in a deed dated 25th October 1736.
Registered 7th December 1736.
It is likely that this Morgan is Morgan Neal (1688-1742), the brother of Hugh O’Neaile (1696-1790).
No record has been found concerning the transfer of ownership of Clonmore from Morgan to Hugh O’Neail.
Morgan O’Neill dies 1742.
Deed dated 28 September 1754 Memorial of an Indenture.
Concerns Hugh O'Neaile (1696-1790) of Clonmore, County Carlow and John O’Neail of Raheenwood; Hugh transfers dwelling house, outhouses and other land about said house (Clonmore) to John O’Neail in a deed dated 28th September 1754. The deed was not registered until 12 noon 19th November 1779.
Deed dated 19 August 1767 Indenture – details quoted in deed dated 13.07.1781
The first reference to Garryhill is a deed dated the 19th August 1767 which indicates that Hugh O'Neaile (1696-1790) obtained a lease to farm the land of Clonmore, otherwise known as Garryhill, from William, Earl of Bessborough.
Deed dated 1781.July 13 Memorial of an Indenture of Assignment.
Hugh O'Neail (1696-1790) transferred ownership of Garryhill to 'his only son John O'Neail' (1728-1803) of Milltown, County Carlow in a deed dated 13th July 1781. The area of land was 42 acres and 2 roods plantation measure. Registered 11th February 1782.
Hugh O’Neail dies in 1790.
Deed dated 1803.May 30. Memorial of an Indented Deed of Assignment.
John O'Neail (1728-1803) of Garryhill (commonly called Clonmore) transferred Garryhill (42 acres and 2 roods) to his youngest son William O'Neill (1778-1843), and 4 acres, 1 rood 30 perches of Bog to John O’Neill and Luke O’Neill (2nd and 4th sons).
John O’Neail dies on 5th November 1803.
Deed dated 1839.February 04 Memorial of an Indenture of Settlement.
William O'Neill (1778-1843) bequeathed 23 acres of Clonmore to his son William Percival O'Neill in 1839, while making provision for both himself and his second wife Catherine Dillon, and his two unmarried daughters Charlotte and Anne.
Deed dated 1839.August 27 Memorial of an Indenture of Assignment.
William Percival O'Neill sold 3 acres 2 roods 38 perches Irish plantation measure of land to John William Bathe of Garryhill otherwise Clonmore latterly called Clonburren and dwelling houses, out offices, orchard and lawn in the Parish of Dunleckny.
William O’Neill, born in 1778, died on 15th April 1843.
It is assumed that once William and Catherine died, William Percival still owned some of Garryhill/Clonmore and eventually sold the property
William Percival O'Neill was 'of Clonmore' when he married his first wife Alicia Jane Sparrow on the 3rd December 1846. However, there is no mention of Clonmore when William Percival and Alicia Jane’s daughter was baptised on 3rd November 1858 – his address was given as 11 Rathmines Road, Dublin. When he married his second wife, Mary McCape on 19th June 1860 – his address was given as 26 Burren Street, Carlow.
It is not clear when the O’Neill family finally disposed of their ownership of Garryhill, as no information has been found indicating that the family had any interest in Garryhill after 1858.
William Percival emigrated to the USA in 1864 with his wife Mary and eight children. He died in Brooklyn, New York on the 26th August 1888 and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York.
However, William O’Neill’s second wife Catherine O'Neill (nee Dillon) probably lived at Garryhill until her death (see deed dated 1839.02.06). Her gravestone inscription in Clonmelshe graveyard also suggests that she lived in Garryhill:
‘In memory of Catherine O'Neill late of Garryhill daughter of Edward Dillon and grand daughter of Wm Steward Esq of Leighlin Bridge. She died 30th April 1875 aged 76 years’.
Provision in the same deed was also made for William’s two daughters, Charlotte and Anne (Anna Maria born 1806), to live at Garryhill, if they remained unmarried. I have been unable to find any marriage or death records for Anne/Anna Maria or Charlotte to find out if this was likely.
The only other information about Garryhill/Clonmore/Clonburren is the photograph of the house. Richard Corrigan thought that the person standing in the doorway was a Mrs Samuel James; I have no information on her, nor any idea of when the photograph was taken.